After School Youth Worker - Elementary [2023-2024]
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI), an award winning sports-based youth development program, is seeking dynamic individuals to serve as as After School Youth Workers in our elementary (REAL Kids) and middle school (DreamBuilders) programs in East Harlem and the South Bronx.
The Youth Worker will lead a group of 18-20 students daily in activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment, and academic support programming.
Youth Workers will have the opportunity to participate in professional development training, in addition to receiving regular feedback and support. This is an excellent opportunity to build your youth development skills while working with a passionate and supportive team.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
- 18 years of age or older by the start date for the role;
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Experience working successfully with groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting, strongly preferred;
- Experience with behavior management, including positive youth development, preferred;
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Ability to quickly problem-solve in the moment;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting;
- Ability to communicate effectively with families;
- Comfort with technology and ability to use common platforms, including Zoom and Google Suite (Gmail and Gchat);
- Eagerness to grow professionally, including openness to receiving and implementing feedback;
- Flexibility: willing and able to shift tasks and priorities as needed;
- Belief in the mission and outcomes of DREAM, including the importance of social emotional competency and advocacy for self and others;
- Ability to work during the program hours;
- Must be able to work in person at the program site.
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in daily after-school activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment and academic support;
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with team to plan & facilitate various enrichment activities;
- Support with homework completion and other academic enrichment;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities, with a focus on team building;
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation;
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies;
- Participate in weekly professional development and tactical training in addition to formal feedback and coaching;
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required;
- Using a restorative approach to manage student behaviors.
How to Apply
- Start date: September 11, 2023
- End date: June 7, 2024
- Schedule: Monday-Thursday: 3-6pm & Fridays: 12-5:15pm
- After school youth workers work at one of the below sites:
- DREAM Charter School East Harlem Elementary & Middle - 1991 Second Avenue, New York, NY
- DREAM Charter School Mott Haven Elementary & Middle - 20 Bruckner Boulevard, Bronx, NY
- DREAM Charter School Highbridge Elementary - 360 East 168th St, Bronx, NY