Part-time Enrichment Specialist [2023-2024]
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
After School Enrichment Specialists create diverse learning experiences that focus on, but are not limited to, artistic, cultural or STEM activities for students in grades Pre-K to 5 in REAL Kids, DREAM's nationally recognized elementary enrichment program. Previous enrichment activities offered include Martial Arts, Hip-Hop Dance, Slam Poetry, and Art Club. Specialists deliver 45 minute-long sessions to teams of 18-20 students in grades Pre-K-5, supported by two Youth Workers.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the role's start date;
- High school diploma required;
- Bachelor's degree or certification in related field preferred;
- 2+ years experience working with groups of youth, or similar experience preferred;
- Ability to independently plan and implement lessons in proposed specialty area;
- Clear passion for specialty area;
- Understanding of effective youth development strategies and conflict resolution;
- Exemplary social, organizational, and communication skills;
- Dedication to the program and ability to collaborate with colleagues to ensure a positive, productive youth experience;
- Ability to work in-person during all program hours required
- Design and deliver a series of lesson plans for an enrichment activity aligned to the DREAM program model and culminating in a final project or presentation;
- Collaborate with Youth Workers and Program Manager to provide a cohesive and fun experience for youth;
- Embed literacy throughout all instruction;
- Prepare all materials before activities begin and facilitate a thorough clean up afterwards;
- Encourage youth to positively participate in activities;
- Serve as a role model while demonstrating professional behavior;
- Implementing all health and safety protocols as required, including ensuring child safety and responding appropriately to any incidents;
- Note: Enrichment activities that require materials/resources will be given a conservative budget on an as-needed basis.
How to Apply
- Start date: September 11, 2023
- End date: June 7, 2024
- Schedule: Fridays, 1pm-4:45pm
- Enrichment specialists work at one of the below sites:
- DREAM Charter School East Harlem Elementary - 1991 Second Avenue, New York, NY
- DREAM Charter School Mott Haven Elementary - 20 Bruckner Boulevard, Bronx, NY
- DREAM Charter School Highbridge Elementary - 360 East 168th St, Bronx, NY