The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
To help fulfill our mission, we cultivate a culture of learning, leading, and collaboration to enhance community impact. Through our talented staff and “LEAP” career framework (Leadership, Empowerment, Accountability, Personal Growth), we are committed to a people-first approach that fosters trust, inclusion, growth, and development for all.
The Flushing YMCA is seeking an Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Executive Director in managing and growing the administrative aspects of the overall Branch operations, with an emphasis on administrative work supporting Properties, Youth & Family, Fund Development, Business Office and Board of Managers.
- Associates Degree, experience in related field required or equivalent experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication – written and oral, project management and organizational skills.
- 1-3yrs Administrative Experience.
- 1-3yrs Working with staff and volunteers.
- 1-3yrs Community Relations experience.
- 1-3yrs Human Resources experience.
- Knowledge of Excel, MS Word, Publisher, PowerPoint, AS400 data base management, Fund Development, Board Development, Human Resources.
- Support Executive Director to coordinate requests for AS400, Sales Force and other online searches to report on donor and prospect history, statistics and reports.
- Enter Gifts/Pledges into the AS400 or Sales Force on “as they come in” basis and produce weekly reports, prepare acknowledgement letters for donors and make sure they are sent out within 48 hours. Also maintain a tracking/filing system for all gifts/pledges that meet the requirements of audits. Hence reducing the Branch’s liability.
- Carry out as needed mailings produced in-house including merges as needed to maintain and increase donor base as well as communicate with members and community.
- Administrative Support to the Executive Director, Properties Department, Youth & Family Department, Business Office and other departments as needed to ensure effective operations across the branch.
- Attend Committee Meetings, Board Meetings, and Special Events to build relationships with Y professionals/Leaders and Supporters.
- Prepare and organize board materials in a timely fashion as well as prepare Agenda and Minutes of each committee to ensure smooth operation of meetings that will overall impact on the success of the branch and the board.
- Help in planning and executing events related to the Annual fundraising initiative, EDI initiative, Staff Recognition and Family events; to ensure a well-organized and successful event.
- Take control of office inventory, Branch IT support and purchasing of supplies in order to provide support and direction for resolution to IT issue, including monitoring of copiers and printers.
- Manage and keep up to date records of staffing records, including schedules, phone number, email, Emergency Contact lists, Phone Directory and training & compliance records.
- Manage and keep up to date records of community outreach partners
Support the Business Office as needed for batch closing in a timely manner and accounts payable as needed in order to provide support in processing of daily business needs.
- Manage financial assistance program. Also maintain a tracking/filing system for awards that meet the requirements of audits. Hence reducing the Branch’s liability.
- Managing 3rd Party Billing and branch receivables to ensure successful collection of revenue meet the requirements of audits. Hence reducing the Branch’s liability.
- Model the Y’s 4 core values; to ensure maximum quality of Annual Campaign and Board Affairs.
- Manage facility space usage and Maintenance Calendar.
- Manage Space Rental inquiries, contracts and executions.
- Support the Executive Director and Buildings & Grounds Superintendent in facility preventative maintenance contracts, purchase orders and invoicing.
- Keep accurate records of transitional housing clients, rooms, inventory, purchasing and receiving.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Serve as Manager on Duty as assigned.