Afterschool Senior Counselor (Flushing YMCA)
The school year is quickly approaching and the Flushing YMCA is currently accepting applications for Afterschool Senior Counselors to work at Y Afterschool programs. The Y is seeking the “best of the best” candidates to ensure that our program participants have the best experience of their lives.
When children enter the Y Afterschool program, a whole other world of imagination and growth opens up to them. In addition to supplementing what they have learned in school, they participate in interactive learning models that engage critical thinking skills, get assistance with their homework from trained YMCA staff, have a chance to socialize with each other, and form long-lasting friendships that enhance their development, growth and self-confidence. Y Afterschool programs are offered at dozens of sites throughout the city, most of which are New York City public elementary and middle schools, serving thousands of kids each year.
Who are we looking to hire?
We are looking for people who enjoy working with youth. People who are creative, have a passion about teaching youth new skills, are enthusiastic and model our four core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
What’s in it for you?
Aside from being a part of a greater movement and actively playing a role in developing our next generation, the Y offers so much more:
- Build your resume with marketable skills that include teamwork, creativity, communication and leadership.
- Work for an organization that consistently raises the bar and always looks towards being innovative – did you know the Y invented basketball?
- Have fun – while this is a serious job and safety is our number one priority, we conduct our days with all things fun.
- Take advantage of discount offers to Broadway plays, movie theaters, sporting events, comedy clubs and other special events throughout New York City, via our “Plum Benefits” program.
- Get a free gym membership. Our part-time staff receives a family city wide YMCA membership for the time of their employment.
- Regularly scheduled part-time employees are eligible to enroll in benefits, including: medical insurance, 403(b) retirement savings, and many more.
The Afterschool Senior Counselor plays a critical role in the successful operation of the Afterschool program. The Afterschool Senior Counselor is responsible for providing a safe and positive environment for school age children and provide opportunities for learning, interaction and academic/personal growth. Afterschool Counselors plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans and special events that are structured, age-appropriate, fun, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, literacy, creative expression, community service, physical fitness and/or nutrition. The incumbent will also promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all staff and participants, and promotes a positive spirit.
The afterschool season runs through June 30, 2024. Y Afterschool programs operate from 2:30 pm – 6:00 pm, Monday - Friday and during public school breaks.
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid-time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (ie. full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; college credits preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working with youth under the age of 13 in a group setting.
- General knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Plan and implement meaningful activities, lesson plans, and special events that are age-appropriate, exciting, challenging, and values based in the areas of arts, STEM, character development, creative expression, community service, physical fitness, and/or nutrition.
- Prepare the learning environment, lessons, and necessary supplies for program activities.
- Support the coordinate and presentation of a culminating performance at the end of the program cycle, if applicable.
- Provide support to Activity Specialists with activity implementation.
- Assist children with homework and academic enhancement activities.
- Work cooperatively with program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the Y After School program to participants and care givers.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater
- New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.
- Maintain sanitary habits in accordance with CDC guidelines.
How to Apply
If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please complete our online application and submit your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization.
If you are a current YMCA employee, please submit your application through the Internal Career Center in Cornerstone.Apply Now