Bilingual Educational Specialist
Intro/Program Description: Star Learning Center, a program of GRCC, is a year-round tutoring program for underserved students from across NYC. The program provides one-to-one academic support and educational advocacy to students in grades 2 through 12. Each student at Star is matched with a volunteer tutor. Tutors receive an orientation to the Center and their individual students and staff provide ongoing coaching and support. Star also connects students with other GRCC programs and outside resources to enable them to reach their full potential.
Purpose of Position: Star Learning Center seeks a committed, compassionate, and highly organized individual to join a close-knit and diverse community of staff, students, volunteer tutors and parents. The candidate should enjoy working closely with others and also work well independently. We are looking for a team member invested in having an impact on the lives of young people, committed to learning, and inspired to be a part of ending educational inequities.
Schedule: Monday 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 10:30 am to 6:30 pm, Thursday and Friday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm/
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred in Education or related field
- Teaching/tutoring experience with children and teens
- Knowledge of an Orton-Gillingham based, multi-sensory approach to teaching reading
- Must be fluent in written and spoken Spanish
- Supervise and support 200+ tutors and students every week
- Evaluate academic needs of all students; administer testing for new students and write testing reports; create tutoring plans with annual goals using testing results, student report card data, IEPs, and teacher comments
- Prepare and deliver tutor orientations, provide ongoing supervision of tutoring plans and continual training to volunteer tutors
- Support all student-tutor pairs with modeling and materials; review and comment on every session plan prepared by tutors; offer trainings
- Organize and maintain STAR’s library, including researching new book titles and tutoring materials, sorting donations, and working closely with library clerk
- Research online tutoring materials for 2nd –12th grades
- Tracking report card and other data to identify need for additional support
- Occasionally tutor students
- Communicate with parents regarding special education needs and goals, review IEPs with parents, and refer to special education advocates
- Encourage and promote reading for pleasure by recommending books based on student interest and reading level
- Assist in data collection for Star program evaluations
How to Apply
To apply, create an account on the website below. Please answer questions and upload resume.