Dance Instructor (Castle Hill YMCA)
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits, medical, paid time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (i.e., full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here for more information.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching dance to children/teens in a structured setting.
- Teaching ability and experience mainly in Ballet but can also teach other Dance disciplines such as Hip Hop, Jazz and/or Tap.
- Knowledge of youth development stages.
- Able to teach and work with children ages 4-14.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be available to work weekends.
- Ensure the health, safety, and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines.
- Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants and create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Create a written lesson plan for the program session that is age-appropriate and progressive, as needed.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills in dance.
- Be able to modify lesson plans and instruction to meet the needs of the participants.
- Create an environment that is encouraging to all participants regardless of skill level.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Record accurate attendance for all classes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Attend YMCA Coaching within 90 days of employment.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.