Education Specialist (Castle Hill YMCA)
To help fulfill our mission, we cultivate a culture of learning, leading, and collaboration to enhance community impact. Through our talented staff and “LEAP” career framework (Leadership, Empowerment, Accountability, Personal Growth), we are committed to a people-first approach that fosters trust, inclusion, growth, and development for all.
The Castle Hill YMCA is seeking an experienced applicant who under the supervision of the Site Director, the Education Specialist will play a critical role in providing intensive and extensive academic tutoring in the subjects of math and literacy to children/youth in grades K-8. Instruction and activities must be designed to promote subject mastery, develop grade-level competencies, and teach study skills. The Education Specialist will also be responsible for creating a safe and positive environment for school age children, to provide opportunities for learning, interaction, and academic/ personal growth. They will be responsible for planning, organizing, and leading groups of assigned participants in a variety of educational enhancement activities in the areas of math, science, literacy and, SEL development, which will teach skills and help to improve overall academic performance.
Y After-School programs operate from 2:00pm-6:00pm, Monday-Friday and during public school breaks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field. MA preferred. Teaching credentials preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in an academic environment. Public School teaching experience preferred.
- Possess an understanding and knowledge of public school functions, Common Core, and specific knowledge in age-appropriate math and/or literacy curriculum.
- General knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Access, Adobe PageMaker and Photoshop preferred.
- General knowledge of Google Classroom, Google Meets, Zoom and other online learning platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must be able to work Monday thru Friday from 2:00pm to 6:00pm.
- Meet academic standards for tutoring and demonstrate competence in analyzing student’s academic needs.
- Assist participants in actively achieving an increased comprehension and retention of specific subject material and improved academic skill in designated areas.
- Help participants develop necessary study skills for academic success.
- Identify participants experiencing difficulty; provide encouragement and alternative explanations of subject material.
- Assist participants with remote schoolwork/homework as needed.
- Document, track, and maintain regular progress and academic records of designated participants. Provide feedback regarding participant progress as needed.
- Assist participants in developing self-confidence and reducing anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Work with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying by acknowledging student efforts as well as their progress and achievements.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Work cooperatively with Afterschool Counselors, professional staff, teachers, and other program and school staff.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces the diversity of all participants.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Serve as a positive role model for participants.
- Understand and communicate the YMCA’s core values and the goals of the participants and care givers.
- Develop and implement curriculum and lesson plans.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings, and special events, as appropriate.
- Adhere to all Department of Health, YMCA of Greater New York, and funder standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.