Garden Education Coordinator
- High School diploma is a must, College Degree preferred. NYS Mandated Reporter, First Aid, & CPR. Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be fully vaccinated, wear mask, and enforce COVID protocols amongst staff and participants as mandated.
Horticulture: 3 years (Required)
Gardening: 3 years (Required)
youth development: 3 years (Required)
- Participate in the development and implementation of learning experiences for Public Health AmeriCorps Members to teach children and youth within the mission and outcomes related to gardening. Train, lead, manage, and track progress of members as they teach children in the study of urban agriculture, garden design and installation, pollination and insects, community engagement in public spaces, plant sciences, and garden volunteerism and tours. Offer in-person programming only.
- Ensure that staff and participants know and follow safety and educational procedures. Apply basic child development principles in working with participants through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement, and empowerment of youth. Assure that participants are properly supervised at all times.
- Be a role model to participants and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to participants and others in regard to general procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
Equipment Used: Shovels, rakes, wheelbarrow, pruning tools, hoses, power tools, and other gardening equipment.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Use mathematical reasoning.
- High level of professionalism, integrity, work ethic, accountability, and responsibility.
- Highly organized self-starter; ability to take direction, structure tasks, establish priorities, and set goals.