The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
To help fulfill our mission, we cultivate a culture of learning, leading, and collaboration to enhance community impact. Through our talented staff and “LEAP” career framework (Leadership, Empowerment, Accountability, Personal Growth), we are committed to a people-first approach that fosters trust, inclusion, growth, and development for all.
The Castle Hill YMCA is seeking Sports Instructors who will be responsible for working with children, ages 4-14, to promote the enjoyment of sports activities while improving physical competence, developing confidence, and teaching basic skill development, while also providing outstanding hospitality to ensure a positive user experience. The Sports Instructor will serve as a resource for participants to achieve exercise goals, skill goals and a sense of well-being.
We are looking for Instructors in the following areas: Basketball, Soccer, Baseball and General Physical Education.
The YMCA of Greater New York offers a variety of benefits to its staff members including retirement benefits
, medical, paid time off, free YMCA membership and more! Benefit eligibility is determined by an individual’s employment status (i.e., full-time or part-time), tenure and/or the number of hours scheduled to work. Click here
for more information.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum one (1) year experience teaching children/teens sports in a structured setting.
- Teaching ability and experience in Basketball, Soccer, Baseball and/or General Physical Education.
- Ability to communicate effectively with members of all ages.
- Able to teach and work with ages 4-14.
- Coaching certificate or equivalent desired.
- Current First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be available to work weekends.
- Obtain YMCA Coaching 101 Training within 90 days of start date.
- Obtain CDC HEADS UP Concussion in Youth Sports certificate within 30 days of start date.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all participants and create an all-inclusive and supportive learning environment.
- Provide supervision of the participants in line with YMCA program standards and guidelines (i.e. ratio, attendance).
- Work with the supervisor to develop program objectives and goals for each program session.
- Teach rules, fundamentals and enhance basic skills. Emphasize teamwork and sportsmanship.
- Teach progressive lessons and provide opportunities to demonstrate learned skills.
- Create and modify lesson plans and instruction that is age appropriate, progressive and meets the needs of the participants. Understand skills for ages 5 – 17, while utilizing differentiated instructions.
- Create an atmosphere in which all participants can have fun, are safe and learn the importance of good principled athletics.
- Ensure that all equipment is age-appropriate, safe and in proper working condition. This includes conducting monthly equipment safety checks.
- Communicate with parents/guardians regarding the progress of their child/teen and registration for the next session.
- Communicate to parents/guardians about additional YMCA opportunities that can benefit them or their child/teen.
- Work with the Supervisor to develop and lead program promotion and recruitment efforts.
- Provide direction to volunteers or Sports Assistants who are supporting the program, when needed.
- Have a thorough knowledge of branch emergency procedures and take appropriate actions for emergency situations.
- Ensure the cleanliness of program space during all activities.
- Inform Supervisor on-duty regarding any incident reports that need to be filled out.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Other activities and duties as needed that address the ongoing health and well-being of our staff and members.